Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Employee of the Year

Employee of the year awards go out soon. Some people say I got a chance at winning. I don't know. Part of me is so modest and feels undeserving. "I'm apart of a great team" it says. "Others are much more deserving than me" it says. The other, slightly arrogant, part of me says "Why not? I would be a perfect poster boy for this award, and plus, I'm looking REAL good today in my suit." Now, I cant say that I'm under qualified for it; I have numerous employee of the month awards this year as well as employee of the quarter, but is it enough? Do my "intangibles", personal letters from customers, and self sacrificing for the "team" support me winning in areas where my numbers do not? I don't know... But I do want my co-workers who are reading this to know - if I lose, I wont be mad... after I win the next award. And if I win, its alright to put aside your hate for a few days and congratulate me, take me out to eat and buy me smoothies in the winter time.


UPDATE: How about nobody from our department gets anything?!? Crazy, I know. Basically, it was a situation where some departments that were supposed to do something didnt do it so nobody gets anything. Thats the long story short. I was told by the manager that I was basically the winner but because other departments along the same vein of our type of operation didnt pull weight there was no "competition" and thus no award was given. Crazy. I should be more upset than I am, but if its one thing that Ive learned over the years of battling self esteem issues as an adolescent is that another person's opinion doesnt really matter anyway. You gotta know who you are for yourself before anybody else does. And while I may not be able to put this "supposed to have had employee of year" on my resume, whats done is done; time cant be turned back on it. I wont let this overlook bring me down. I dont need somebody else to validate me. Its just the principle I guess that makes it come off a lil sideways. This just feels like one of those situations that'll prolly hit me a few days from now as to how jacked up it really was and be pissed off about it, but who knows, part of me is kinda numb to silly stuff like this... I had to buy my own employee of the month T-shirt when it took forever for me to win what I felt like I deserved. I wore my shirt about once a month for about 3 to 4 months before I got it and Ive been winning every since. This year I was award EOTM 4 times and EOTQ twice; basically taking care of half the years awards. In the end though, it doesnt matter - Im still gonna have to dress myself in the morning and walk in this place and listen to these customers complain. Until I can get someone to bathe and dress me in the morning, preparing me for my journey to my living room where I will be laid up next to something beautiful and brownskinned, I still aint where I need to be...

2 comments:

Kiyotoe said...

You got the right idea lil' brother. Forget what other people think or say about you. All that REALLY matters is that you know damn well what would happen in that department without you.

But I understand that it doesn't hurt to be recognized from time to time. I'm sure if you whisper that to one of your bosses they'll get the hint.

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Wireless, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://wireless-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.