Tuesday, December 5, 2006

Exposure

You know what? I wanna thank somebody today and I know he's been apart of many conversations recently so it might be a little overdone but.... I was in the shower this morning and got to thinking... I want to thank that white guy from Seinfield for saying what many of us Americans wanna say anyway but dont say it because its politically incorrect. I thought this display was horrific but beautiful at the same time. It was horrific because the things he said out of his mouth were absolutely terrible, but it was beautiful because the truth is beautiful. What this fella did was expose the mindset of many people who live among us today. And its not just white people, its everybody. Yes some minorities have more to deal with more than others but everybody got a lil prejudice in them.

(Side note: What is a "minority" anyway? I don't hear dark skinned people in France being called African-French. Why is it that we have African or Hispanic Americans?)

For example, lets take a look at some of the simple stereotypes that we have:

Black youth are lazy - they only aspire to rap, sing, or dance.

White people cant dance and are always looking for ways to "get over", and.....

Everybody else is here illegally.

People walk around with these mentalities everyday and it never gets dealt with. So we see one individual who exemplifies the behavior that comes into agreement with our mentalities and we say "See, I told you they act like that." We needed this comedian to expose the truth. The question is: Why did he have to do this in order for people to finally stand up and say the word Nigger needs to be abolished? Why is it socially accepted by african americans to use it? It doesn't matter if its used as a term of endearment or as a replacement for homeboy or whatever. The word is negative. People are negative. This new "snake in the grass" racism has existed too long without anything being done about it. Everybody may not like everybody else but we all know what is going on when underqualified people get promotions and "overqualified" people of a different race cant find a job. What is "overqualified"?!? Either you can do the job or you cant. Either you perform or you don't. Maybe I have it twisted up in my mind. Maybe there is such a thing as being too experienced at physics to be a college professor. Maybe its possible to have a previously worked as a chef at a 5 star restaurant and now that there are no jobs in your metropolitan area, you are too experienced to flip burgers at McDonolds. I say its some BS but I could be wrong.

At the end of the day, I dont like what that fella from that extremely boring and corny sitcom show said, but the truth of the matter is that he didn't say anything different than what 50 million people were already thinking anyway. Yes, it was wrong for him to say it but I think it was a "necessary evil" to open America's eyes to the fact that racism never died - It just changed clothes. Thanks white Guy.

2 comments:

Kiyotoe said...

I would much rather see the face of my enemy than not. I believe that dude showed his true colors as most bigots eventually do when they lose the composure to hide their true feelings.

Ummm.....are you saying that the "N" word should be abolished?
That we shouldn't say it at all? Is that what you're saying?

Just checking, making sure I heard correctly.

paz y amor said...

They say the only people who can speak the truth and get away with it are comedians. Check out some Bill Hicks' stand up and you'll see what I mean. I get your point, but I don't believe Michael Richards was trying to send some noble message by using the word he chose. He was being completely vindictive and it bit him on the ass (GOOD!). However, I have to agree that it exposed a lot of things about the usage of the word and hopefully it will cause other people, especially BLACK people to stop using it as well.