Thursday, December 7, 2006

Internal Affairs

I was at home today for a lil while longer than usual. I took a half day off of work. I deserved it. But after a while of getting my well needed rest and doing some other stuff I just don't have time to do, I found myself just sitting infront of my television flipping my channels to find something worth while. Well, while flipping my channels, I came accross a show called Greg. Now normally I would have kept it moving cause I dont generally watch shows that are named after the people who host them (for example: Maury, Jerry Springer, Oprah, Regis and Kelly), but I stopped at this one cause I saw this Asian lady who was talking about how she couldn't find love but was DESTROYING everybody who came into her path. The show set her up with a date with this guy and the guy realized immediately what type of party this lady had going on in her head but he tried his best to make the best out of a bad situation. He tried to reach out to her. They struck up a conversation and she asked about his parents, both of which were deceased, she says "Oh, you don't have to talk about if you don't want to" and he's like "No, its fine, I can talk about it." Then he proceeds to talk about it and she immediately cuts him off and starts talking about how good her food is. I mean, the guy didn't even get three words out of his mouth before she decided she didnt even wanna hear what he was saying. It was the nail in the coffin for an already bad night. And she's sitting on a barstool wondering why she can't find a good man. Crazy. They asked her why she was being so insensitive and she was just like "Well, I wasn't really listening to him at all anyway..." The lady was bitter and angry and unwilling to open up to anyone, but deep down inside she thought she was fine how she was.

I think its a lot of us out here now who walk around with our "eyes wide shut"; who have fail to "remove the rod from our own eye before trying to remove the splint out of someone elses". We as people need to stop being so judgemental, especially before we make sure we have ourselves together. I find it absolutely necessary to take a look inside every once in a while to make sure that I'm still on top of my game - to make sure that Im not behaving foolishly like our friend mentioned above. I don't think people do that enough. Many of the people I encounter are focused soley on themselves, with very little consideration for what may be happening in someone elses world. Im by no means saying to completely forget about treating yourself; its very important to have some "me" time, but me time shouldn't be all the time. I could be wrong though....

1 comment:

Kiyotoe said...

and the older I get the more i realize how hard it is to balance the two. It's always important to take care of yourself which should be a priority because how can you help or care about anyone else if you're all screwed up.

But i think that's what you said.

Ain't life hectic?